In 1823, Rev. John Baughman, a Methodist circuit rider, came upon Eli Hubbard, one of the earliest pioneers in this section of northwest Ohio. Rev. Baughman asked if  there was someplace he could preach the gospel. Mr. Hubbard welcomed the reverend  into his home. Five families met with Rev. Baughman at the Hubbard’s house: the Hubbards, the Hortons, the Whitneys, the Keelers, and the Wilkersons.              

     On November 29, 1833, The Methodist Episcopal Church of Port Lawrence built the first “Public House of Worship” of any denomination in what would become Toledo on ground donated by Eli Hubbard. This original church was bought by the Devilbis Company and became their executive dining hall until it was torn down in the 1990s. Our church was known as Port Lawrence Township Meeting House, then Tremainsville Charge, Methodist Episcopal Church of Port Lawrence, then the West Toledo Church, followed by Collingwood Methodist Church, and in 1969 we became Collingwood United Methodist Church.

     In true Methodist tradition, the Camp Meeting House on Ten Mile Creek spawned a Mission Station in Harris Corners (Jackman/Sylvania/Tremainsville). All of Toledo was growing, as was the church. In 1870 Samuel Blanchard and Benjamin Mallet “conveyed the deed to the Trustees and their successors” for the land that was part of Phillips Farm, in Collins' Woods, backing up to the Tremainsville burying ground. Our church presently stands on that property, which is why Collingwood Church is located on Phillips Avenue and not Collingwood Boulevard.

     In 1911 the original 1870 structure was torn down and rebuilt. The 1911 building was extended and remodeled extensively in the 1950s. In 1962 the Educational Building was erected with 2 floors of classrooms, and offices and a custodian’s apartment in the basement. In 1969 the Sanctuary was given a complete renovation, giving us the beautiful stained glass windows that brighten services today. The elevator and new entrance were completed in 1990 and in 2002 air conditioning was added to the Sanctuary.  

       Collingwood was always a supporter of missions and outreach. Even though we were small in number we supported many ministries and missions. We regularly attended/donated to Friendly Center, Feed Your Neighbor, Red Bird Mission/Henderson Settlement (in KY), Flower Hospital Guild, the United Methodist Children's Home, and UMCOR projects. We hosted Block Watch for the Five Points neighborhood, Native Sons and Daughters, a boy scout troop, an Urban 4-H group, and the Anointed Angels (a women's empowerment group).

      In the last few years of our existence, we partnered with Toledo Gospel Rescue Mission and the Lewis House to serve the needs of persons living in the Five Points neighborhood. We served a meal for the community on the 5th Saturday of the month at the Rescue Center. In the summer, Lewis House hosted the Feed Lucas County Kids lunch program and we helped serve and chaperone this outreach. There were many other outreach activities that Collingwood and these two neighborhood center cooperated to put on.

     As we celebrated our 190th anniversary in 2013, we knew we face many daunting challenges. With the average life-span of a church in America being 75 years, we know how fortunate we have been to serve the Toledo community for nearly two centuries. After much struggle and prayer, the congregation voted to discontinue effective June 22, 2014. We pray that as we go our separate ways we can continue the faith journey Rev. Baughman and Eli Hubbard began that long ago day in the woods for many years to come. With God’s help we will.









 1870 Building 





                                                              1914 Building